Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cycle the Seacoast

I've begun training for a bicycle century run by the American Lung Association called Cycle the Seacoast.

What is a century?

A century is cycling 100 miles in one day, and is considered to be equivalent to a half marathon.

Why the American Lung Association?

My grandfather died of Emphysema, and I thought it would be a good way to honor his memory.

Why?

Well, I have never been in really good shape, and I've tried several times to change that aspect of my life. Doing a century gives me a goal to work toward, and doing it through the ALA is a way to hold myself accountable.

There are a few obstacles to making this happen:

I have to raise $250

You can help with this by clicking here. (It won't be immediately obvious that the donation is being done in my name, but I've tested the link and it works correctly. You should get an email confirming that it is in support of me.)

I have to increase my average speed over 12.5mph

I have a strict training regimen that's got me riding six out of every seven days in the week. My average speed right now is around 9mph, so I have a bit of work before I'll actually be allowed to complete the event.

I have to make sure my bicycle can make it through the trek

I'm currently riding a hybrid that I bought back in 2006 for my commute to work. This has worked OK for the training I have done thus far, but I'm not confident that it will be effective on a long ride. My in-laws had a road bike they weren't using, and that may fit the bill, but I need to replace some parts before it can fit correctly.

This is an initial post to announce my intention and provide a link for donations. I'll be posting further information and adding cool little charts to the site as I have more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment