Saturday, January 14, 2012

Moving from Google Tasks to Remember the Milk

The Steps


A quick google search didn't reveal a how-to, so I'm volunteering my own. It's actually really straight-forward, so the post will be relatively short. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to do all of the lists at once, but I can do an entire list at a time.

  1. Create the list you want to move in Remember the Milk, you can do this by going to Settings > Lists > Add List.

  2. Switch to the info tab in the settings, and copy the "Import Email Address"

  3. Expose Google Tasks in GMail by clicking Mail in the top left and select Tasks.

  4. Switch to the list you want to transfer.

  5. Click on Actions > Email Task List

  6. Paste in the copied import address in the To box

  7. Remove the list name from the body of the email

  8. Send


I'm pretty sure notes get lost in this process, so you'll have to keep the google tasks around long enough to transfer them over. This wasn't a big deal for me, as I didn't use that many notes before moving, but I could see that being annoying if the feature was used extensively.

The Reason


I decided to switch back to rtm because gtasks was just too simple. I'm not looking for really complicated features, but entering tasks was getting frustrating. I also got sick of looking at the tasks in tiny windows on the side of my calendar and mail, and remember not having that annoyance with rtm.

No comments:

Post a Comment