Monday, December 26, 2011

Polyphasic Sleep and Back Pain

About six months ago I slipped on the stairs and injured my back. This was obviously unpleasant, but I recovered from most of the pain in about two weeks. Unfortunately, as I was recovering from the initial pain a chronic issue appeared: after about 4-6 hours of sleep I would be woken in excruciating back pain.

Two weeks ago, my wife showed me this article on polyphasic sleep, and I was just desperate enough for a decent amount of sleep to give it a shot. I began the transition to uberman last weekend, and I am happy to report that I have not been woken up by back pain in that many days. I know a lot of people will think that this sleep schedule is a bit mad, but the simple fact is not waking up in pain has substantially improved my quality of life.

Important to note is that I'm really bad at doing this transition properly. I keep changing up the schedule and oversleeping on certain naps, but the shift is still enough to have completely eliminated the pain I've been experiencing. If you are having similar sleep deprivation issues, I highly recommend trying one of the polyphasic routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment